A Travellerspoint blog

Forty Thieves

sunny 30 °C

Josh and I had a much needed nap in our Villa before we forced ourselves up to head out and get some dinner. It's the off season and things close earlier than normal, so heading out close to 8pm wasn't the best idea in this tourist town, but the restaurant we were going to stays open pretty late so we carried on. We had the front desk call us a taxi, and the nicest driver picked us up, named Salim. We asked if he could pick us up to take us home in a few hours, and he agreed. We then asked if on the way home we could stop somewhere for water, and he said it would cost more later on at a gas station, so he could go into the town and pick us up some before he picks us up. So sweet! He also didn't have us pay until he dropped us back off at home. The people here are so sweet and kind and generous it's been amazing so far.

We got to Forty Thieves bar and it did not disappoint. It was right on the white sandy beach and even though it was dark out the moon was bright and I was in awe of our setting. We ordered and then waited on Kenyan time to receive our meal, something Josh says to get used to haha. The drinks came fast so we wee happy to wait and just take it all in. We watched the beach for crabs, they're so quick and they run sideways and then dive into their holes it's crazy!




When we got our food, Josh took one bite of his French fry and he had a look on his face like he was either going to be sick or happy or something, I asked him what it was and he asked me back if I'd tried my food yet. I hadn't, and he said it just tasted like Kenya. His sense of taste was bringing him right back to 8 years ago when he was last here, it was pretty cool. I had a bite to join in on his experience, and my French fry literally tasted like solidified canola oil. It was not good! Josh said I'd get used to it, and that I wouldn't have an appetite at the beginning of our trip but it would grow over time haha. Anyone who knows me knows I'm not one to leave food on my plate, and usually I'm finishing up Josh's fries anywhere we go, but I left half of my plate full of food. We talked about the guilt of being in Africa and leaving food on our plates, something I guess we'll have to live with for now.


Right before we left there were a few guys putting on a fire show and balancing bottles on sticks with their mouths. We had our taxi waiting so we didn't watch it all but they were pretty talented with the bottles!


Once we got home we ventured down to our beach to watch the crabs run and Josh waded in the ocean looking for phosphorescence.



Crab's hole:


Crab in his hole:


As we were getting back to our villa I heard something rustling in the grass, so I got out my phones flash light to see and it was a tiny hedgehog! It was so cute and tiny and so scared of us. Really can't wait for safari now that I got that excited over a hedgehog...


Overall we had a great night and better ending to our first day here than I thought we were going to. Waking up today fully rested so that feels nice! But also very sweaty... it is very, very hot here!

P.S. this is where I write this post from...


Posted by kvandervegan 23:25 Archived in Kenya

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


Same crab adventure in Jamaica! Ya mon... 😂 love your taxi driver. So precious! Not your food experience?! 😘 Have a great day. ❌❤️

by Lisa McInnes

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint